Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

3 month old kitten with a cold - any good home remedies that

3 month old kitten with a cold - any good home remedies that could help with sneezing, runny nose, trouble breathing?

Hello-

Can you tell me if the nasal discharge is clear, or is it yellow, white or green in color? Also, is your kitten current on it's vaccinations? Is she eating?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Discharge is clear. All shots are current. Appetite is fair - sleeps alot
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Lori,

Did I miss your reply?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
vets office is not open!

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do for this baby at home, other than take him into a steamy bathroom to help if the congestion is really bad. With a kitten this small, I always suggest taking them into the vet, simply because there may be an underlying bacterial infection, and your vet will probably put him on antibiotics. If his nose is too congested, he won't eat as cats must be able to smell their food in order to eat. Over the counter medications are not an option for cats as they cannot metabolize most of them, and with a kitten, you definitely don't want to give him any over the counter meds unless you check with your vet first. You could safely use an infant nasal spray (saline) to help with the nasal congestion, but that is the only thing I would suggest.

Please let me know if I can help further.