Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years

correct dosage of doxycycline for 3.2 pound kitten with URI

Customer Question

correct dosage of doxycycline for 3.2 pound kitten with URI (adopted from shelter)
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 years ago.
The dose of doxycycline is 10 milligrams per 2.5 pounds, once daily, so your kitten should be getting 10 to maybe 20 milligrams a day. It should be given with food, since it will cause nausea if given on an empty stomach. It should not be given with dairy products, since calcium can prevent it being absorbed.

How old is the kitten? Doxycycline can cause damage to developing teeth, so if the kitten is less than 4 months old, there may be discolorations on the permanent teeth when they come in. Also, doxycycline in pill form can get caught in the throat, and cause a serious problem, called an esophageal stricture. If you are giving doxycycline pills to a cat, you have to be 100% sure the pill is swallowed, and goes into the stomach. Chasing the pill with fluids, or some food, is very important. Hope this helps, Rebecca
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the kitten is approximately 9-10 weeks old..I was just making sure that the dosage the shelter said to give of 0.4 cc for a 3.2 pound kitten was the appropriate dosage to give him.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 years ago.
I would have to know the concentration of your liquid, but I am sure you can do the math as well as I. If you have any more questions, let me know. Rebecca