TheBugDoctor
TheBugDoctor,
13956133

can cats get C-Dif and give it to humans or to other ani

Customer Question

can cats get 'C-Dif' and give it to humans or to other animals?
Category: Cat
Expert:  doctorjaz replied 8 years ago.

Greetings,

would you be more specific please?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry, it came out weirdly. I wouldn't believe it myself, if I wasn't living it. I caught c-dif or 'cloristridium difficile' from my mother in law - who caught it at the hospital from being given too many antibiotics that killed off her 'good' bacteria. I've had trouble getting rid of it. Symptoms = diarhhea often, bloating, yellow mucous stool, can cause problems w/ lungs and eyes. bacteria turns into a spore that is heat resistant. I've noticed my 2 yr old cat Paprika is bloated, looks pregnant, has looser stools and two days ago, had yellow odorous, mucously stools. There's no mistaking it, it was the same as the C-dif! I always wash my hands after petting her, but she gets up on counters alot and could infect me and my two daughters or the other pets. Is there a medication for pets to stop c-dif? what is it?
She is a threat even to the humane society - money is scarce, what can I do? C-dif can be fatal, you just 'waste away'
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
By the way, Paprika was fixed when she was a kitten and declawed. There is no way she is pregant, she is mainly an indoor cat and usually very clean and healthy.
Expert:  doctorjaz replied 8 years ago.
i m really sorry as i m not a pet doctor,but i will optout so that another expert may answer your question..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't understand, I thought this was strictly an veterinarian website. Who are you referring me to?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr. Jay,

I'm sorry I don't know if you received my last email or not but could you refer me to the vet please? By the way, do you know anything about c-dif?
Expert:  TheBugDoctor replied 8 years ago.

Hello Helen-

I know about treating Clostridium difficile in people- but can't help you about pets, other than to say that YES cats can get C diff as well-

If you have a question about treatment in humans I can help- I would also advise reposting this under the vetreinary/ pet section

http://winnfelinehealth.blogspot.com/2008/05/clostridium-difficile-in-hospitalized.html

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Actually, I found all the info for free at ask.com. Apparently, the pet version of cloristridium
difficile, is cloristridium perengens- (sp) It says that dogs don't need treatment or testing unless they have diarrhea because the c -peren. is always present in a mild pre-spore form, in their stools. Cats may be another problem however, since they don't salivate, are smaller and not as healthy as dogs at throwing off infections. C-perengens can be treated with many antibiotics, ie: erythymiacin (sorry spelling), flagyl, and one other one.

So, thanks for your time but I think I've found a solution.

Sorry, I thought I was posted at the right website.