Dawn Mason D.V.M
Dawn Mason D.V.M, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Graduated from veterinarian school in 1999 and write pet articles for a local magazine in Canton

Can you please tell me at what age do kittens start shedding.

Can you please tell me at what age do kittens start shedding. My kitten is 5 months old and not shedding, which is wonderful. She is a tiger striped kitty that I found on the side of the street. When the vet estimated he was about 1 month old, he is very healthy. Thank you!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dawn Mason D.V.M replied 7 years ago.
Kittens are usually born with a different coat and will lose this coat around 4-6 months and develop a course more shiny and silky coat. As far as shedding is concerned, pet's shed by photoperiods and depending on your climate may encourage shedding. If you kitten is indoor, the shedding could be year-around due to artificial lighting. Before we domesticated animals they would shed based on the sunlight to develop the coats necessary for that environment. Daily brushing and a good quality diet with omega 3 and 6 fatty acids will reduce shedding should he start. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX DVM
Was this information helpful? Dawn Mason DVM