Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.
10679819

My female cat in heat. What medication can help her to calm

My female cat in heat. What medication can help her to calm down and get rid of the pain?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately there is nothing you can give at home to calm her down. When female cats are in heat they make a terrible howling noise but that is not from pain. That is to attract males.

Also, cats are what are called induced ovulators. That means that will stay in heat until they are bred by a male cat or spayed. So, unless you plan on breeding her I would get her to a vet soon to be spayed. Otherwise she will likely be in heat for a long time and you both will be miserable.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Dr. Hinson