ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

My cat ate a bag of hair rubber bands, what laxative should

My cat ate a bag of hair rubber bands, what laxative should I use to help get them out?

How long ago did this occur?

DO NOT give any laxatives this is very dangerous!!!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This happened about 2 to 3 days ago
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
BTW they are all soft hair bands with no metal

Thanks for the additional information.

Is your kitty vomiting, having diarrhea?

Is kitty able to eat still?

How many rubber bands were there (approx)?

Did he ingest the bag as well?

Did you call the vet?

Standing by.........

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Has had vomiting for three days and now just not eatting or drinking at all. I did consult a vet and they wanted $1300 to remove with surgey. But did state they were soft so he might be able to pass them. I do not have this money for the surgery and would any alternative ideas to help my cat. He did urinate yesterday, however has not had a bowel in 3 days

Kitty is not eatting or drinking at all as of yestrerday. No he did not eat the bag, just the hair bands.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He ate maybe 15 hair bands

I am so sorry, but laxatives are not going to help, and could actually cause an intestinal perforation. Your kitty needs to see an emergency vet right away, and will likely need surgery. If he has not passed the bands by now and is vomiting and not eating, he is not going to pass them (regardless of how soft they are). This is an extremely painful and life threatening problem, and your kitty will die without immediate help. Sometimes the bands can be removed with an endoscope, but that is true only if they are still in the stomach. At this point, so much time has passed that you will likely have to take him to surgery. If you absolutely cannot afford surgery and cannot find an alternate source of funding, you may want to consider humane euthanasia. I hate to say that to you, but your kitty is suffering, and this is a horrible way to die. Depending on your situation, you may qualify for care credit, which is a low interest credit card that can be used towards veterinary care.

You can also see the following websites for more funding options.

Your kitty needs to be seen today, and hospitalized, placed on iv fluids and medicines until he is stable enough to go to surgery. I am sorry he is having so much trouble, but cats rarely pass anything on their own. If this happens again (typically happens over and over again), it will be much cheaper to have him seen immediately. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. I hope that you ae able to have the sugery done and that he does well, please keep me posted!