Dr Caroline
Dr Caroline, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 yrs of cat dog practice, general practice, emergency, certified in veterinary acupuncture 2006
13981167

16 year old cat.Suddenly developed weak back legs.No obvious

16 year old cat.Suddenly developed weak back legs.No obvious pain.Anti-inflamtories not helping.What can be causing the problem?Please help.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Caroline replied 5 years ago.

May I ask you some questions?

1- How long ago did this happen?

2- Was it progressive?

3- What tests were done?

4- Does your kitty have control over its bowel and urine?

5- Can he/she walk?

6- It would be nice to know her/his name?

7- Any concurrent illnesses?

looking forward to work with you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1 About six days ago

2 No it came on suddenly

3 The vet did blood tests for kidney function

4 Yes.No problems there.In fact.still eating and drinking well.

5 Yes.He will walk a way but then one or other of the legs will give way and he will have to sit for a while.Also,unable to jump on to the bed any more.Lack of power in back legs.

6 Patch

7 None at all.In fact,he is in no pain at all:still wants to go out:still tries to carry on as normal as though nothing is wrong.

Many thanks for being so caring over one old Moggy !!

All the best and thanks on behalf of Patch,

Barry

Hi Barry,

all old kitties needs love and care!

it is difficult to say what could be wrong without a physical examination, I do not know his neurological examination, nor do I see how he walks.

With the information you gave me and knowing kidney function tests were done, I would think about doing more tests like: a urine analysis, a full blood panel with a thyroid level and some radiographs whole body. It is not clear without an examination if you have weakness or a skeletal/spinal problem. Skeletal problem (like arthritis) are painful, mind you kitties are tough and will hide all signs of pain until they can't hide them anymore. This is a trait in feline necessary for their survival over the years.

Cats are prone to develop heart disease as they get older, hyperthyroidism, arthritis in their hips/knees/back. Cancer is also a possibility.

Hope this helps.

Keep me posted.

In the meanwhile keep him indoors since he cannot get away as fast as he can if their is a problem. If Patch goes out, be with him to make sure he is safe.

Do not forget to push the accept button if this information is useful to you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Hope this helps, keep me posted.

If you think of anything else

Dr Caroline, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 yrs of cat dog practice, general practice, emergency, certified in veterinary acupuncture 2006