Doctor Wes
Doctor Wes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Graduate of the University of Wisconsin VMTH, small animal internal medicine and surgery exclusive.

cat: is dragging her butt across the

My cat is dragging her butt across the rug; what are the possible problems she is having? Is this solvable with an over-the-counter medication from one of the major pet retailers?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor Wes replied 7 years ago.
If this is a several times per day occurrence, it could be that her anal glands are full, impacted, or infected. One thing you can try doing before scheduling an exam with your regular veterinarian is to try to increase fiber in her diet. The easiest way to do this is to offer her canned pumpkin each day. Many cats really like the canned pumpkin and the added fiber bulks her stool up and the result is her anal glands expressing out more normally. I would expect an improvement within a week if the canned pumpkin is going to work. It is the same canned pumpkin you would buy for baking a pumpkin pie. Use 1 tablespoon one or twice daily.