Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

can i give my cat melatonin to make her sleep at night. she

Customer Question

can i give my cat melatonin to make her sleep at night. she races through the house at night.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.

In direct answer to your question : Melatonin is used in the cat, this drug is best known for its ability to regulate body rhythms, but it also appears to have uses as a sedative and anti-convulsant, and can be used to treat phobias.

In cats the dose rate of melatonin would be between 0.5 to 0.8 mg per cat orally and it can be given up to twice a day.

In the cat melatonin has been used to help induce sleep in pets that are hyperactive at night and also other phobias.

This type of drug should never be administered without first consulting your veterinary surgeon.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS