Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My female cat is fixed and started peeing in my dirty clothes.

My female cat is fixed and started peeing in my dirty clothes. Then she started peeing in my closet, clean clothes, blankets... pretty much anything cloth.   i have three cats ans a dog and she is the only one giving me problems. If this doesn't stop I have to get rid of her. What do I do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Oleander. Sorry to hear you are having problems with your kitty. First and foremost, you need to rule out any medical problems with her. She needs a urinalysis to rule out a urinary tract infection and bloodwork to rule out any internal organ issues. Sometimes, abnormal urination and defecation is the only sign a cat will give you to tell you something is wrong with them. Putting her outside and rubbing her nose in it will do nothing and might possibly increase her anxiety (especially rubbing her nose). If all medical issues are ruled out, then we need start looking towards behavioral issues. Are any of these cats and dog new to the household? Any new people in the household? How does she get along with the other cats and dog? How many litter pans do you have? As a rule of thumb, you need one litter box per cat plus one. So, you will need 4 litter pans throughout the house. Make sure she is not blocked from going to the litter pan or food and water bowels. Make sure all doors are always closed to the area she urinates in. Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence with cats in multipet households. You can use Feliway to help relieve anxiety. This is a synthetic cat phermone. Your vet can also prescribe anti-anxiety medication to help relieve anxiety also. Make sure you clean the areas on the carpet she has urinated on with a odor eliminator/neutralizer. I will send you some websites on inappropriate elimination to look at that will have more information on it. Unfortunately, some of these cats are difficult to break of the habit and may actually do better in a single cat household. Please let me konw if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/pdfs/cats/catinappropriateelimin.pdf

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2174&aid=158

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/inappro-elim2.html