Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

my cat is favoring her front right paw. when i examine it,

my cat is favoring her front right paw. when i examine it, she cries out a little--just near the first joint. i've read that it's probably a sprain and we're icing it; i've also read that she needs a splint no matter how minor the injury. she's still making the big tall jumps that i think caused this--does she need to go in? she hates the vet!

I'm sorry to hear that your cat's paw is giving her pain. If she jumps up and down from heights, yes, she may have sprained/strained it that way. Applying an ice pack wrapped in a towel, should help, but don't press too hard, as you see it's sensitive. Also, it's possible that she has something embedded in the paw pad, a problem between her toes, or a nail bed infection, so all these possibilities should be checked out by the vet.

Even though she hates going to the vet, it would be the best option for her at this time. Look in your phone book for any listings under 'veterinarians' and see if you have any Mobile Vets in your area; they come to YOU! Perhaps if your cat is examined in her own environment, it will be easier on her AND you.

I hope she's feeling much better, very soon, and it turns out to be something minor which is easily remedied!