LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

My roomate put dog flee medicine on my cat.He said only part

My roomate put dog flee medicine on my cat.He said only part of tube.Cat feels like he has a fever.Nowhere to take him till morning.I keep wetting him with cold wash cloth.I think he maybe having a hard time swallowing.

What was the brand of the flea medicine?

What was the active ingredient?

What size dog was the flea medicine for?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
says 15 to 33 lbs.adams was the brand.Ingredients permethrin [cas#52645-53-1 45%...pyriproxyfen[cas#95737-68-1][nylar] 5%...Other ingredients 50%
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
did you need more info

Sorry, I got locked out from replying because it said someone else was replying. I think this was your second message.

Permethrin is very toxic to cats. The dose varies. Some cats are very sensitive and react to a drop of the dog flea preparations. Some cats tolerate more. Absorption through the skin is slower than if they can reach the spot and lick.

Clinical signs usually occur within a few hours, but may be delayed for up to 24 hours. The most common signs of toxicity are muscle tremors and seizures, hypersalivation, depression, vomiting and loss of appetite. This insecticide can cause death particularly if the cat has uncontrollable seizures. The trembling can be treated with methocarbamol.

If you are unable to get veterinary help tonight, continue keeping the cat cool and minimize exposure to anything that increases agitation(movement, light, noise). If he doesn't want to eat or drink, do not force him if it increases stress. If he is still having a reaction in the morning, get him to your vet as soon as you are able.

Pyriproxyfen (Nylar) is an insect growth regulator and is not toxic to cats.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much.I hope he makes till the morning....
Me too. My thoughts are with you and your boy.