Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue
3350763

my cat has a sore side when touched, and is not moving as much

Customer Question

my cat has a sore side when touched, and is not moving as much as usual. He is under a year old.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 5 years ago.

Hi Lauren,

Does your boy go outdoors?

Is there any puffing around his abdominal area?

Can you tell me if he has urinated lately, or if he seems to be straining to?

Standing by to help...any additional detail will be beneficial...

Reani

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Reani,
He's better this morning, but still not at all himself. He's pee'd, and is eating alittle on his own. He's wandered around, even jumping up on the chair, but not chasing the ping-pong ball with his buddy cat, Caesar. He does go outside normally in the daytime when I'm around, but i dont wanna let him out yet cuz he's still slow, and sore where there's a bit of a bump on his left side. he cries if I touch it, though it doesn't seem quite as tenderr as last night. I put both of them in the bathroom last night when we were getting the x-mas tree inside, cuz I dont let them out when its dark. When my son went to let him and Caesar out last night, Fou-fou (yea, thats his name...) didn't come right down to us which was weird. Then my daughter went up and got him, picking him up and he yelled alot when she carried him downstairs-- that's when we realized something was wrong. My son (23) said the bathroom door might have hit Fou-fou when he opened it-- I'm thinking that that happened, or fou-fou fell and hurt himself in the the bathtub or toilet and that its a bad bruise/bump. If he has a rib broken, would there be anything a doc would do? for humans, you mostly have to live with it, and the pain-- they cant really "cast" it. If the internal bleeding, or an organ problem, what might it be?? but he does seem much better this am. Thanks so much! sorry for the long-windedness! lauren.
Expert:  Reani replied 5 years ago.

Hi Lauren,

It is a good idea to keep him indoors for sure. My main concern is that you monitor him and make sure he can urinate. If he has any trouble at all, makes frequent trips to the box, lets out only small amounts or starts hiding, get him seen right away as this can be a urinary infection.

If he has sustained an injury, such as a cracked or bruised rib, you are correct that the vet will not splint it or anything, but he could prescribe an anti-inflammatory or pain med to help him feel better while he heals.

For today, be sure he is eating close to his normal amounts, (even if you have to coax him) because lack of food can cause liver problems. He is likely in a good amount of pain if he is not eating...so if you have the means, and ER vet today might not be a bad idea.

I would definitely have him seen tomorrow though, so that you can find out if he does have an injury or a bladder infection, and so that the vet can prescribe something to ease the pain (if it is an injury) so that he will want to eat on his own. He will also be able to determine if there is any sort of internal injury.

I hope this helps! Please let me know how fou fou is doing okay?

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience: 20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much-- he's actually already even more better (if that's english?!). Your answer was great-- I really appreciate it. I will keep monitoring him!
thank you, lauren
Expert:  Reani replied 5 years ago.

You are most welcome and thank you for accepting my answer. I hope fou fou continues to improve and will be thinking of him!

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

(sending as an info request so you are not prompted to pay again)