Doctor Wes
Doctor Wes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Graduate of the University of Wisconsin VMTH, small animal internal medicine and surgery exclusive.

about how much would surgury cost to remove a nasal pharyngeal

Customer Question

about how much would surgury cost to remove a nasal pharyngeal polyps in cats?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor Wes replied 5 years ago.
Megan,
Can you tell me what part of the country you are in. This will help me to give you an idea of cost. In addition, have you been made aware that there is the possibility of recurrence of the polyp even after surgical removal?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello, I am from west virginia. The vet did tell me that the polyp could come back, but I have been trying to do some research on my own about this and I read many diffrent places that it could eventually kill my cat by sufficating her. Is that true? Another thing that confuses me is that when you look in the cats ear through the otoscope, the polyp is in her ear canal and I thought it should be in the middle ear. I am a poor college student who does not know what I should do about my cat. I love her so much and I want what is best for her, so if you know of any thing else I should do can you let me know.
Megan,
The polyp can show itself either above the soft palate in the mouth or through the ear canal. There is the change of suffocation, but rare. The more common complication from this is secondary bacterial infections. If you explain to your regular veterinarian that you understand the chance of recurrence and you would like him or her to sedate, briefly place under anesthesia and remove the polyp by gentle traction, you may get lucky that it does not return, at worst you buy yourself some time as it will take the polyp time to re-grow. Here in the midwest (I practice in Wisconsin), to do that would be under $200.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you know what can happen if I do not treat the polyp?
Megan,
Sorry for the delay, my computer crashed during your and my conversation. My friend could not fix the problem so I am actually borrowing his laptop now. Anyways, if you do not treat the polyp, it will continue to grow. That does not mean that you have to treat, it just means that the polyp will continue to enlarge. The downsides to allowing it to continue to grow is that with time it will cause secondary bacterial infections around the area where it is located. You mentioned the ear canal as the location of this one (versus in the mouth above the soft palate) so in your case it may mean dealing with ear infections on occasion and having to treat those with antibiotics.