Peter Bennett, DVM
Peter Bennett, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience as a Small Animal veterinarian
854596

if my cat is in heat, is she in pain , and do i need to wait

Customer Question

if my cat is in heat, is she in pain?, and do i need to wait to get her spayed till she is no longer in heat? how i can i help my poor baby
Category: Cat
Expert:  Peter Bennett, DVM replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

A cat in heat behaves in a quite typical manner... calling (or 'yodeling') in a loud voice, rolling on the floor, arching her back when touched above her tail, and trying to get outdoors at every chance. Frantic is a good descriptive term.

She sounds mournful and like she is uncomfortable, but it is entirely emotional, or 'natural' for her stage of life at this time. Spaying at this time is more exacting than if she were not in season, because her uterus is more engorged with blood... but it can be done. However, most vets prefer not, since spaying is strictly an elective surgery and introducing added risk is not wise, if not necessary.

Cats tend to stay in season until they breed. They may seem to stop for a day or two every week or so but they usually start again and repeat this schedule several more times before they stop naturally.

Some vets are able to trick the cat's body into thinking it had been bred, where upon the cat goes out of season and can be spayed normally in a week or two afterward.

Permitting her to breed with roaming neighborhood Toms is probably not a good idea because of the threat of infection with one of the several diseases most of them carry. Early pregnancy of 2 or 3 week duration is almost not notable at surgery.

This is a trying time for folks with an unspayed cat. I hope you can get some accelerated relief for her and the surgery done sooner. I wish there were a definite answer to be given, but hope there is something helpful here.

Best wishes\.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you for your answer, you were alot of help!!!