Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I need to know the right dosage to give my cat. He will be

I need to know the right dosage to give my cat. He will be taking Bactrim DS. He weighs 18 lbs.
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : Trimethoprim/sulfadiazine { Bactrim } is typically dosed at 7 to 15 mg per pound (15 to 30 mg/kg) one to three times daily.

When I give a client details of a drug or a drug dose rates I always supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of my answers : LINK

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok now that I look at the bottle it is not clear to me the what mg these tablets are. On the bottle it saysNNN-NN-NNNN05 thie pill its self says IP on the left side and the number 272 on the right.
Your tablet is the 800 / 160 version, here is more information LINK

Your cat at 18 lbs would want in the region of 200 mg once a day. { 1/4 tablet } This is a human drug so the decision whether to use it or not lies with you. You should also be aware that some cats froth at the mouth when dosed with a divided pill of this antibiotic type but this is not dangerous.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello again,

Did the picture I sent correspond with the tablet you have ?

Regards,

Scott