Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

my neutered male cat is bleeding from urethra, a drip, drip,

my neutered male cat is bleeding from urethra, a drip, drip, drip. he is lethargic and avoiding my contact. He has been washing himself so much he is very wet on his back legs. what should I do?would a warm or coldcompress help?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In direct answer to your question : You should take you cat to a vet as soon as soon as possible even if this means using an emergency vet. This is potentially a serious situation.

Male cats suffer from a syndrome called FUS { Feline Urological Syndrome } at its less severe this can present as a cystitis and will respond to antibiotics but often the urethra which is the narrow tube from the bladder to the outside will become blocked. The bladder then expands and a back pressure may occur to the kidneys resulting in kidney failure as well as bladder damage.

Such cats are uncomfortable, can only pass small amounts of urine and will be constantly licking. If the bladder is blocked your vet will be able to pass a catheter and resolve the situation as well as perhaps offer drug treatments and advice on how to prevent this distressing disease in the future.

Hot or cold compresses would have no effect in this situation.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS