Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has some sort of wart-like growth around his nose.

My cat has some sort of wart-like growth around his nose. It is not IN his nose, but just to the side of one nostril. His behavior is the same, but I notice sometimes one of his eyes waters and he sneezes occasionally. It is the growth that concerns me the most. Any ideas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.

Hello, Jiles. True warts caused by a papilloma virus is not very common in cats, but there have been reported cases. Dogs tend to get warts far more often. They are more common in younger dogs as well. There is not much information on papillomas in cats due to their infrequency. Unlike dogs, skin masses in cats tned to worry me more. Many of them tend to be cancerous. Although, this is far less likely in a 2 year old cat, I would have your vet check this out. My best advice is to remove it and send it into the lab to see what it is. Unfortunately, that is really the only way to find out what it is. The sneezing and watery eyes may be related to an upper respiratory infection. This is common in cats. Most of these infections are caused by a herpes virus that is very prevalent in the cat population. He may have been infected as a kitten. Like all herpes virus, you can never really eliminate the virue from the system, so flare ups can occur. I would have your vet check this out also. If there is any greenish or mucoid discharge from the nose or eyes, this could be due to a secondary bacterial infection and require antibiotics. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience