Samantha Stephenson
Samantha Stephenson, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a general practioner for 5 years with an interest in feline medicine.

Why does my 3 year old indoor cat chew on her tail

Why does my 3 year old indoor cat chew on her tail?
Submitted: 5 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Samantha Stephenson replied 5 years ago.
Is she losing hair on her tail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No some fur is missing where she has chewed. It's like she has some type of irratant there on the tip of her tail. She has been spayed but that was over 2 years ago.

There are a number of reasons that could be causing her to chew at her tail. She may have allergies which include the indoor and outdoor environment. Fleas are also a possibility even if she is an indoor only cat. It may also be behaviorial with her as well. Some cats will continually lick their bellies or chew on their tails with no medical cause. It is important that we try to get her to stop though so she isn't causing self trauma. If she currently doesn't have an open wound on her tail try applying bitter apple spray(found at a pet store) or even a little tobasco sauce. This should deter her from chewing on it. This will most likely cause her to salivate excessively which is normal. If she is causing sores on her tail though I would take her to your vet to have her checked for allergies or even external parasites such as fleas or skin mites. It is always good to have any medical cause ruled out first and then work on any behaviorial causes.
Samantha Stephenson, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a general practioner for 5 years with an interest in feline medicine.