Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

why are my cats teeth falling out

We have a 8 year old female cat. We adopted her when she was 6 months old, from a Vet.She was among many kittens that were abandon. Abbes teeth were not very good at 6 months., she did have some pulled, but the last week,2 of her teeth feel out?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the question Mr Green,

Abbes obviously had a poor start in life and that will not have helps as early nutrition has a bearing on tooth development, also she has had teeth problems when she was younger, this is a factor as well. Having said this dental problems are common in middle aged cats anyway.

Pet cats are very prone to dental problems, much more so than wild cats which probably use their teeth in a much more natural fashion. The diet of the domestic cat is much different than that of the wild cat, the wild cat will pull and tear at hide and muscle and crunch and gnaw on bones. Pet cats however normally eat soft refined foods which means they do not use their teeth so much.

Whatever the cause dental disease such as gingivitis is common in domestic cats, all you can do is to have your vet check Abbes out, he or she may want to extract any more loose teeth and scale and polish the rest to prevent any further deterioration. Sometimes a course of antibiotics is called for if there is an active gingivitis.

On the bright side I have know cats loose a great many teeth and it never seems to affect their lives much.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS