Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)
11090950

I recently noticed that my cats urine appears red stained.

I recently noticed that my cat's urine appears red stained. He is 2 years old and in good health. Is it blood and if so what does this mean?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello
The red colour of the urine will almost certainly be caused by the presence of blood. The blood can be coming from anywhere in his urinary tract from the kidneys to the penis but the most common source is the bladder. Most often cystitis or bladder infection causes the bleeding. Cats are particularly prone to this problem and very often they can seem well in other ways although usually the patient will be passing urine more frequently, sometimes with straining.
The cause of the cystitis is usually a bacterial infection but stress and anxiety can also precipitate bouts. A more important issue is that sometimes a cat can build up struvite crystals in the urine which form a sort of sand in the bladder. This sand occasionally blocks the urine outflow with serious consequences. If you see him straining to pass urine with no urine being passed you should consider this an emergency and get him to a vet fast.
The blood in the urine will need to be assessed by your vet. The urine is usually examined for evidence of struvite crystals and the cystitis is traeted with antibiotics and often a modification in diet. As long as he seems well and is not straining unproductively I would not consider this an emergency if your vet is closed, but you should seek attention fairly soon.
I hope I have been of assistance. Please contact me back if I can assist further.
Regards, Peter
Dr Pete, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)