Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.

what are the side effects of the fvrcp vaccinations for ca

what are the side effects of the fvrcp vaccinations for cats?

Typically vaccines are safe with no side effects. Sometimes however after receiving a vaccine injection whether it is a rabies, FVRCP, FIP, or whatever the vaccine, it can cause a temporary reaction of soreness, stiffness, a weakened immune system for a couple days that can leave the cat open to illness like a URI, etc.

In rare cases there are severe reactions to vaccines like hives, swelling of the throat or tongue which can cause breathing problems, and even sarcomas.

The lighter side of the side effects usually go away in a few days.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely, Micki

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I received your response to my question on the side effects of the fvrcp vaccinations for cats. Your answer was helpful somewhat, however I have a eleven year old male cat that was given the fvrcp in 2006. He became very sick about two weeks afterward, and it took a long while to get him back to health again. He did not receive a vaccination shot in 2007. This year in August, I took my cat into the veternarians for the fvrcp shot. Again, he became very sick. Very lethargic, would not eat, feverish. My veternarian is now giving him an antibotic to see if this would help. I am hopefil that he will recover from this. My first inclination is that he has had a serious side effect from this drug. The veternarian has not made that decision as yet. Hopefully you can give me some satisfactory answer.      Thank you,

I truly think it has to do with his age at this point. Older cats often suffer the same symptoms and side effects after receiving vaccinations. It just has to do with a weaker immune system that accompanies older aged pets. If he does not go outside, I would stop the vaccines. I have an older cat myself, 10 years old, and I stopped her vaccines last year. She doesn't go out and the risks are not worth it.

I still however vaccinate my 3 year old cat.

In 2006 he was 9, and is was still considered a senior cat. Also it is so very common when you take a healthy cat into the vet for routine check ups and procedures, that they pick up viruses and bugs from other cats in the vet's office. Much like when we go to the Dr. or hospital. There are germs everywhere on the floor, tables, etc.

Just 2 weeks ago I took my son in for a sports physical, and I got strep throat 5 days later. I have no doubt I got it from sitting in the waiting room of my Dr.'s office.

So there are a few different view points you can take on this situation, but I do think in his age was a big part of the reaction. Vaccines stimulate the immune system, and these things happen as a result. Younger pets typically do fine with it, and older pets can have more complications with it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is in response to my last reply to your answer, which I found to be informative and helpful to my cats problems. I forgot to mention that my cat is also having a difficult time walking. Sometimes with a slight limp, and he has to be picked up if he wants to climb on a couch or the bed. He seems to be hurting in some of his joints. Could this all be related to the fvrcp vaccination ? Thank you.

Yes, this could very well be related to the injection. You can get some Yuccca Intensive from 1800petmeds to help the pain and any inflammation. You can not give Tylenol, Advil, or any human OTC medication for it.

1800petmeds is the only place I have ever found that sells a safe to use pain reliever for cats.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your very quick response to my question. I will definitely try the Yuccca Intensive for his pain.