ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience
7788723

My cat ate some mushrooms thats growing in the front yard,

Customer Question

My cat ate some mushrooms that's growing in the front yard, I didn't notice at first, how ever he won't eat tried to force feed him water and food he keeps spiting it out. He looks like he hasn't eatten in a week, just sits in a corner with his head down moving his mouth like he's trying to throw up. I need a home remedy just until I can take him to the hospital next week. Please help!
Category: Cat
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 6 years ago.

I am so sorry your kitty is so sick. Unfortunately he is beyond home remedies and you cannot do anything to help him. He needs to see an emergency vet immdiately and he cannot wait until next week. I suspect that he is extremely dehydrated and malnourished and I worry that he will die if he doesn't get help today. He needs to be hospitalized, placed on iv fluids and antibiotics, pain medicines, and may need a feeding tube, blood or plasma transfusions. Some mushrooms cause the kidneys to shut down, and this is a very slow and painful way for a kitty to die. Your kitt is suffering and he needs help right away. If money is tight, you may be able to apply for care credit, depending on your situation.

www.carecredit.com

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been hlepful, please hit the green accept button. Good luck with your handsome man, let me know how he does.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so very much for your help I thought as much. I do except your answer but I can't pay right now. I promise to pay next saterday. I need to try and think what my next move will be... I'll hate to have to put him to sleep but I don't want him to suffer....
I hope that things work out for you, i will keep my fingers crossed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well just has fast as this sickness came upon him he pasted away. He past away a hour and a half ago. The bad part about it is I didn't realize what was wrong with him until earlier today. He's only showed symtoms last night but I thougt it would go away (eating grass) so I thought. It was too late I did try a lot of other things before I asked my qustion. Thanks anyway for your help. It's sad because if I only had insurance I could have gotton him some help. I have 3 dogs and one cat now . I promise to get Insurance in case something like this happens again. Again thanks so much for your assistance.

I am so sorry about your kitty. It is frustrating that the majority of the damage incurred from mushroom ingestion is pretty much undetectable in initial stages. I am very sorry he did not make it.

Insurance is great, but keep in mind that you still need to pay the vet bill up front. You get reimbursed after you submit the invoice, and you will probably not get as much money back as you think (speaking from experience). Insurance is till a great idea, so go for it when you can. I will keep you in my thoughts.....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help At the moment I do not have the money to pay you. I will howe ever be able to pay you by the end of this week, please bear with me. I had to use the last I had to have him put away. I hope this will not be an inconvenience for you. I truly appreciate your being honest with me about the possible out come.

sincerely,
Velvelyn Robinson
not a problem, the message was sent by accident....not trying to press you. Take your time!