Dr. Suzanne Hurst
Dr. Suzanne Hurst, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years as a practicing small animal veterinarian, including a feline only practice
11345663

I have an 8 week old kitten. How much does it cost to get her

Customer Question

I have an 8 week old kitten. How much does it cost to get her shots and all. Declawed and fixed. When should I do all these things. What else does she need done.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Suzanne Hurst replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Dr. Hurst here.

Congratulations on your new kitten!

Kittens should begin a series of vaccines at 6-8 weeks. These need to be boosted every 3 weeks until they are 14-16 weeks of age. So you could get her 1st vaccines now, again at 11 weeks, and a final set at 14 weeks.

The decision about which vaccines to give depends on the individual situation. But generally we recommend FVRCP (a 3 in 1 vaccine against feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus and panleukopenia), a FeLV (feline leukemia virus), and rabies. Some people choose to forgo the FeLV if the cat will never be outdoors or exposed to other cats. But, kittens are most susceptible to this virus and one never knows when a kitten might slip out the door and run into the local stray, so it is never wrong to give this vaccine. I do not recommend the FIP (feline infectious peritonitis) vaccine because it efficacy issues and may actually trigger a disease if the kitten has already been exposed to this virus. I also do not recommend the FIV (Feline immunodeficiency virus) unless the cat will definitely be an outdoor cat or will be living with a FIV positive cat. The reason is that once the vaccine is given they will always test positive for the virus, so it can never be known whether they have been exposed or whether it is due to the vaccine having been given. If you decide to vaccinate for FIV it is imperative that you microchip the cat. If she were ever to be lost and taken to a shelter or clinic and she tests positive, they would euthanize her unless they had a way to track down her owner/records. There is also a Bordatella vaccine (kennel cough) which is recommended only if your cat will be boarded or go to the groomer. There are a few more vaccines, such as ringworm, giardia, Lyme, etc, but these are not routinely given.

Also, a fecal examination should be performed each visit to rule out intestinal parasites. And a "combo" test for FeLV and FIV should be performed.

So, to summarize:

8 weeks: fecal and FVRCP vaccine

11 weeks: fecal, combo test, FVRCP vaccine booster, FeLV vaccine

14 weeks: fecal, FVRCP booster, FeLV booster, Rabies vaccine

The spay and declaw should be performed after these vaccines are done but before she is 5 months old to prevent her from going into heat.

As far as costs, these can vary greatly from region to region and from clinic to clinic. Typically the vaccines run about $12 to $15 each, a fecal is about $20, and a combo test is about $45. The spay and declaw may range from $150 to $200.

Bear in mind that declawing is not necessary. You can keep your cats nails trimmed and train them to use a scratching post. My cats are not declawed and they never scratch the furniture.

If you have any other questions let me know! Best wishes!