ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

why does my cat have to sleep on my lap all the time im h

why does my cat have to sleep on my lap all the time i'm home?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: >12; Male; Breed: domestic

Already Tried:
dont know what to do
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 7 years ago.

Is this a new behavior for your kitty?

Is he clingy and following you around where he was not before?

Does he go outside?

Is he neutered?

Any decrease in appetite, weight loss, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy?

Let me knwo and I will try to help.....

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it is a new behavior,he is a inside cat,yes he is neutered,he is also 16

Thanks for the additional information. Changes in behavior like being more needy or attention seeking can be a sign of an illness in an older kitty. Cats are considered to be geriatric at the age of 8 and can be prone to illness as they age. The 3 most common ailmenst known to afflict elderly cats are diabetes, kidney disease and hyperthyroidism. The symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, increased water consumption, increased urination, dehydration, weakness, weight loss, muscle wasting, poor hair coat, changes in appetite, changes in behavior and increased vocalizations. Cancer, dental infection, or urinary tract infections are also possibilities. Cats instinctively hide illness, and can appear to be normal one day and very sick the next, and one symptom typically follows another in rapid succession.

I think it would be a good idea to try and have your kitty seen by her vet sometime this week for an exam and some bloodwork to make sure there is nothing going on that requires treatment. Most vets have limited weekend hours, so getting her seen before then may save you alot of money. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Good luck, let me know how he does.