Dr.Fiona, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario

My cat is up 30 feet in a tree. Shes been there since halloween

My cat is up 30 feet in a tree. Shes been there since halloween night (10 days). We spray water up there for her, and it rains and we woke up to frost. People tell us to be patient they say "there's never been a cat skeleton found in a tree". My questions.... if she falls, can she survive the 30 foot fall, and how long can cats go without food. The local fire department won't rescue cats, and a local tree cutter/climber couldn't reach her because the girth of the tree is too big for him to shimmy up - (he tried)
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 2; Female; Breed: cat/oslet

Already Tried:
coaxing - food at base of tree, van parked with hot tub lid on top (she always jumps from roof of house onto hot tub of deck) - shaking her favorite can of night time snacks - she always come inside and responds to that

So how long can she survive without food (its been 10 full days thus far) and if she gets too weak, how far can cats usually survive a fall) - she's up about 30 feet... we have no way of retrieving her.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,
Welcome to Just Answer! I am so very sorry that you have had such a long wait to get a response to this urgent question. I just logged on and saw your question and have replied immediately. I would like to be able to help you and your cat but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Is she still up there?

Was she an overweight cat or normal weight or underweight cat when she went up?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
shes normal weight and is still up there and has rained all day long 4 the last 3 days
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 7 years ago.
Oh my gosh...

Well, the fact she is normal weight is encouraging... but she has to be getting into a critical state by now. And I am afraid that if she were going to come down on her own she would have by now. She is waiting for you to rescue her as she does not know what to do. Eventually she will be so weak she will fall from the tree. Falling 30 feet could certainly lead to broken bones and internal bleeding. Unfortunately, it could be fatal.

I am afraid that I have had LOTS of cats face this problem, and many of them have died. They fall, so you can tell your neighbours that this is why there is no skeleton in the tree.

When I have had people faced with this problem they have received aid from:
- fire fighters (I know you said yours refused)
- tree cutters (try call another one!)
- roof repair men
- window cleaners
- arborist
- anyone with a long ladder and a kind heart

I truly believe that your cat may die if you don't find a way to get her down. How about a fishing net? Could someone get close enough to her to reach her with a 10 foot pole and net on the end? Could you put a mattress on the grass under her and cut the branch she is on?

I wish I could help more! Medically, this cat is in critical distress after 10 days of exposure and no food. I am surprised she is still hanging in there...I truly wish there were more that I could do to help!! Here are links to others who have faced this problem:

If this has been helpful, please "Accept" my answer and provide feedback. If you need more information, just click on reply and I will try to provide it!   PLEASE keep me posted!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.