Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA

My baby kitten has a cold and both of her eyes are very watery,

Customer Question

My baby kitten has a cold and both of her eyes are very watery, red and swollen. I'm very worried about her and the rest of my three kittens have this. What should i do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I think you need to take at least one of the kittens to the vet to get opthalmic antibiotics. If they are squiting or unable to open their eyes they may have corneal abrasions which need immeadiate treatment.

www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=554 more on corneal ulcers

She most likely has an upper respiratory tract infection. This is like a "kitty cold."

It is usually caused by a virus and is contagious to other cats but not people.

If she is having difficulty breathing, stops eating, or the drainage turn yellow-green she needs further vet care.

If you bring her into the bathroom, while you take a shower, that will help steam out her nasal passages. You can also keep a humidifier in her room.

You can use nasal saline drops to help thin mucous secretions which will help them drain. Put 1-2 drops in each nostril every 12 hours. You can purchase nasal saline drops at any drug store.

You can give her an antihistamine called "chlopheniramine 4 mg tablets". The dose is 1/2 tablet every 12 hours by mouth if she weighs over 5 pounds and 1/4 tablet every 12 hours if she weighs less than 5 pounds.

If you warm her food in the microwave it will make it more fragrant and help her eat. Cats won't eat if they can not smell their food.

You can read more about upper respiratory tract infections here

www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=613