Lynn
Lynn, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  worked at a vet clinic for 18 yrs, BA in biology, experience with cats for 20+ years
6035727

My Cats left ear is all puffy . Actually, from the tip of

My Cat's left ear is all "puffy". Actually, from the tip of the ear to the base is puffed up like a balloon. there are no signs of trauma (bite or scratch) that I can see. It doesn't appear to be painfull to him as he allows us to touch it and put slight pressure on it. We don't feel any lumps.. it feels like its full of air?? I'm not sure what it could be or if there is anything I can do for him.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lynn replied 8 years ago.

This is what's called a hematoma (a blood filled pocket). They are usually due to some sort of trauma to the ear, such as excessive scratching. The best thing to do would be to take your cat to the vet first thing Monday to have this treated. They will need to surgically open it, and then put many sutures in for it to heal properly.   If it is left the ear will eventually heal, but it will remain deformed, and have the appearance of cauliflower. This is also a painful condition if left untreated. There is likely an underlying problem, such as ear mites or an ear infection, that will need treated as well. Here is a link to a page about this problem:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1336&articleid=1563

If you have further questions let me know. If this answer is helpful please click accept. Thank you.

Lynn