Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat is having back spasms . The surface of her back ripples

My cat is having"back spasms". The surface of her back ripples and jerks. When I touch her back, I can cause these spasms.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am sorry your girl is dealing with this. It sounds like Hyperesthesia (rolling skin disease)

This can be a condition called hyperesthesia(or rolling skin disease) Authorities think is it caused by a nerve that makes the cat supersensitive or an allergic reaction.
It has different manifestations but is basically an OCD disorder.

I printed the following for you:

Treatment of cats affected with hyperesthesia syndrome is directed at the underlying disease, if determined, and the signs presented by the affected cat. Symptomatic treatment may include anti-seizure medications, corticosteroids, or anti-anxiety agents. Often these medications are tried therapeutically in series (one after the other) to determine which drug works best for the specific patient. Acupuncture has also been used for some affected cats.

You can read about it here:SOURCE:

This ailment can be caused by stress, allergies, hormonal imbalences, etc. Many DVM's have never even heard of it but it does exist. It is treated by first removing the allergin and sometimes with tranquilizers.

She may have developed a food or contact allergy.

Try a diet of boiled chicken and white rice or baby food with no onion or garlic. Add infant rice cereal.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on her tongue to raise her blood sugar in case she is hypoglycemic.

Give her unflavored pedialte to keep her hydrated and balance her electrolytes.

One half teaspoon a day of plain yogurt for "good" bacteria.

If is not eating, she may be mildly dehydrated or have a metabolic or organic imbalance that is too slight to read on a test. She may also feel nauseated.or in pain. Sometimes a cat becomes upset by other kitty's or things she hears outdoors and thinks her friend is an enemy. Other times she has a painful issue she does not know who to blame so she strikes out.She does not really understand that her tail belongs to her.

Cats do not recognize others by sight, they depend more on scent, so if some tumil is going on in or oudoors, they can sometimes take it out on each other and begin hissing and spitting.She may have been very frightened by something she heard or smelled.

Try rescue remedy and a feliway plug in sold in pet supplies.

Please let me know if you have more questions and how she is doing.

I will always be here for you.

Sincerest best wishes,