Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My cat has a cold, what can I do to help

My cat has a cold, what can I do to help?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the question Tammy.

The most likely condition your cat would be suffering from is cat flu rather than a cold such as humans get. This is a viral disease which often is endemic in animal shelters or places where there are stray cats like colonies of cats which live round farms or stables but household cats can get it as well.

The signs you would see would be runny eyes, a nasal discharge and coughing and sneezing, some cats run a temperature and then stop eating or drinking and become lethargic others can be quite bright as the disease runs it course.

The treatment would normally include oral antibiotics, antibiotic eye drops and a good nursing care. Most cats come through this OK but some develop a chronic disease.

Here is a very good link on the subject so you can research it more : LINK

The benadryl will not have done your cat any harm but as this is unlikley to be an allergy it will not be doing any good.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS