LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

My cat was purchased from a shelter he is about 3 years old

My cat was purchased from a shelter he is about 3 years old now. As soon as we got him he would have periods where he would wheeze and hack and extend his throat and head and his eyes would almost close and he would hack and wheeze for about 30 sec - 2 minutes. I thought since I never had a cat before he was hacking up a fur ball. He also had chronic vomiting and I would look in his emesis and I would very rarely find hair. He probably vomited every day to every other day but the wheezing and hacking was it seemed 2-3 times a day. Then last year his wheezing got worse and I could tell he was not able to breathe he became extremely lethargic he was salivating and he also urinted and had loss of his bowels. I took him into an emergency center and they told me it would take alot of money to diagnose and then who knows how much to fix. I do not have the money to afford any of this, I was wondering if I should just put him down, I felt that would be more humane since he is worse.

Have you used a vet for routine care as opposed to an emergency clinic? Emergency care is generally significantly more expensive than routine care. You might call around and check cost for a visit during regular hours. Also ask if there are any low cost clinics in your area.

Chronic vomiting can be a sign of inflammatory bowel disease, which is common in cats. Wheezing can be a sign of asthma. Many animals with these diseases can be treated and live reasonably normal, good quality lives. The cost of some frequently prescribed drugs is relatively inexpensive.

If you are not able to afford the cost of the work up and drugs and if your cat is suffering, euthanasia (putting him down) is an option to discuss with the veterinarian you see during normal working hours.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.