LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

I just gave my cat a topical wormer called Provendor, only

Customer Question

I just gave my cat a topical wormer called Provendor, only I gave it orally. Will the cat be ok and what if should I do for her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 8 years ago.

PROFENDER topical solution by Bayer for cats is a combination of emodepside and praziquantel. It is indicated for the control of hookworm, roundworm and tapeworm.

The new animal drug application has some toxicology data on the oral use and can be found at

The study used 16 cats (8 treated with the product and 8 treated with the liquid in which the drug is dissolved) and looked at food consumption, body weight, blood parameters and physical signs. After oral dosing of a topical dose, all cats salivated and four cats, two in each group, vomited. Two to four hours after dosing, tremors (two cats), abnormal gait (one cat), and abnormal respiration (one cat) were observed in the 1X group. These clinical signs resolved without treatment. The conclusion was that oral administration of emodepside/praziquantel topical solution to cats induced salivation, vomiting, tremors, abnormal gait and abnormal respiration.

Another study using 10 times the normal dose administered topically caused similar side effects. The results of both studies are in the FDA report cited above.

The US Animal Poison Control Center phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN Calling your vet is always appropriate if you are concerned about your animals health including side effects of drugs.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I already found this same information myself on the Bayer website, what I was wondering is, is there any suggested treatment or do I just sit back and watch for some type of reaction and then decide if the cat needs emergency medical attention at that time. Is there something I should be giving the cat now to reverse or lessen an side effects that may occur.

Expert:  LennyDVM replied 8 years ago.

If it were one of my client's cats, I would call the US Animal Poison Control Center, which is the group most likely to have the full range of treatment information as well as info on number of cats who have been reported and actual side effects reported. This is not readily available on the web as you most likely already know from your search.

According to the limited studies at least 25% of treated cats had neurologic side effects. All recovered. The animal number in the study was small and the range and severity of side effects is most likely larger in the actual population of treated cats. Antidotes to this type of drug are generally not available, which means that treatment is symptomatic. Activated charcoal can be useful with some drugs.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I did not call the US Animal Poison Control Center as I could not afford the $60 fee. Hopefully all will be fine with my cat, almost 4 hours have passed since the mistake and so far she seems to be doing ok. I do thank you for your response, time and effort researching my problem.

Expert:  LennyDVM replied 8 years ago.

If 4 hours have already passed, your cat should be OK. What I read indicated that the more serious signs occurred within 2-4 hours.

Thank you for the accept.