Reani
Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience:  20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue

My cat has a pretty large lump on his cheek. It is like half

My cat has a pretty large lump on his cheek. It is like half the size of a golf ball. It feels pretty solid but it doesnt seem like its hurting him at all. He lets me feel it and doesnt flintch or anything.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Reani replied 5 years ago.

Hello There,

How old is your boy?

Does he go outdoors?

Is there any wound there, a scrape, scratch, puncture, anything?

Is he eating and drinking okay?

Standing by to help...

Reani

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is 10. Indoors only. I didnt see anything. I think so.
Expert:  Reani replied 5 years ago.

Okay, thanks for the information.

If there is no injury on his face, this is likely a dental infection that has abcessed or even a broken tooth. It is very important right now to be sure that he is eating and drinking okay until he can be seen by a vet. They will need to get the infection under control, possibly remove a tooth in order for the abcess to heal. They will also likely prescribe antibiotics. If they recommend dental surgery, be sure to have the preliminary bloodwork done before he goes under to be sure all his organs are functioning properly and he can withstand the anesthetic, or an alternative treatment may be needed.

If your boy stops eating, becomes lethargic or starts hiding don't delay and get him in right away. Lack of food can cause liver problems that take a long time to recover from and require force feeding.

I hope this helps!

Warmest wishes,

Reani

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wouldnt a dental infection be painful though? It doesnt seem to be hurting him at all.
Expert:  Reani replied 5 years ago.

Cats are very good at hiding pain, and usually when pain is apparent, it is quite intense. They do this in the wild to prevent being attacked because they are "weak". Cats can be sick for quite some time before it is obvious to us, which is why a lot of the time certain conditions have progressed pretty far before treatment is sought. Another possiblity is a tumor, but that would not appear so suddenly I suspect. If the abcess is on the outside of his face, it would be from a scratch, or other injury in which infection has set in. That also could appear to be pain free.

Signs of pain in a cat are excessive purring, lack of appetite, lethargy or even hiding. However, the pain has to be intense for them to show these symptoms.

Hope that helps explain....

Reani

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So its either a dental infection, abcess from injury or a tumor? Im going to accept your answer because I m not here for a freebie. However, I dont feel any better about the situation. I'll just have to take him to the vet first thing Monday morning.

Thanks.

Expert:  Reani replied 5 years ago.

I do think that is the best course of action. Please let me know how he does. I am sorry that the answer does not make you feel better, but these are the possibilities at hand and they all should be looked at by a vet.

Let me know how he does!

Warmest Wishes,

Reani

Reani, Cat Care Expert
Experience: 20+ years experience with Cat Care and behavior problems, 3 years Pet Rescue