LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

My sister found a kitten on the side of a freeway today. It

Customer Question

My sister found a kitten on the side of a freeway today. It clearly has a broken hindquarter and I am concerned about internal injuries. We've been observing it for about 8 hours. It ate a little food, and drank a little water, but it is in a dark corner now and I can't approach it to take it to a vet. If it did have internal injuries, how long would it take for the kitten to succumb to its injuries? Is there an over the counter pain remedy I could give the kitten as a temporary measure?
Category: Cat
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 8 years ago.

It is very kind of you to try and help this kitten.

Do not give it OTC pain meds. Cats metabolize these drugs much more slowly than humans or dogs and get toxic side effects easily.

I don't think there is any way to guess how long it will take the kitten to die from its injuries without being able to see it. It sounds like it's been alive for at least 8 hours and is able to move around. It could survive or it could takes hours to days to die without or even with treatment.

I am concerned about your sister getting bitten. Are you in an area where there is rabies. Most of the US has rabies and some areas have a lot in cats and dogs. There is no way of telling if the kitten has rabies by looking at it. If it dies, you should consider getting it tested to be sure that your sister was not exposed.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The answer was o.k., not super helpful. I am less concerned about my sisters bite. She immediately had a tetanus shot and was put on antibiotics. At this point, the risk factors for rabies are low compared to the urgent medical need for the kitten. The kitten weathered the weekend and seems to be getting better, so we're taking it to our vet today.
Thank you.