catDR, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

How can you soothe a cats sore throat

My cat Lefty was just diagnosed with Lymphoma (cancer)...she has just started treatment but is not eating much...I've been observing her and it appears she has a soar throat. I know this is somehow related to her condition but I want to alleviate her throat and help her eat. Please help
Category: Cat
Expert:  catDR replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for writing in,

Chemo can sometimes cause some nasea so she may not feel much like eating. What I would do for her is give her .25mg/pound Famotidine or regular Pepcid orally as this will help decrease the aciditiy in her stomach and make her feel alittle better. If that doesn't help then there is medicine that her doctor can give her to stimulate her appetite. It is very important that she eat, so start there and if that doesn't help, then your vet may have to give you something.

GOod luck with her.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
In the mean time, could you recommend any food or remedy that can help soothe her throat?
Expert:  catDR replied 8 years ago.

what makes you think she has a sore throat, and then I can make some suggestions?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

She frequently does this jerky movement with her neck (its almost non-stop and its getting worse)...its sorta like a hard swallow...she seems to want to eat because she's approaches her food and sniffs it but can not stand taking more than a few bites...I know part of her not feeling better but I can tell she has discomfort swallowing.

Expert:  catDR replied 8 years ago.

ok, thanks for that added info, what I would suggest is you first start that Famotidine to help with any nasea. There is a medication that you can get from your vet called carafate or sucralfate that is great for esophageal ulceration or discomfort. I tried doing some research and I don't know of anything that is OTC that would have the same benefits. Most veterinarians carry this and its relatively cheap. I think tomorrow morning you should give your vet a call and ask for this, it'll be great like i said if she has any esophageal irritation or ulceration. It acts as a bandaid in that it will coat it, and stick to it to protect it. Give this about an hour before she eats or food is offered to her and see if that helps. As far tonight, you can try liquifiying her food so that she can lap it up and it won't be so rough on her esophagus.

Let me know if you have any other questions.