Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

Is it a problem if my cats urine doesnt smell like ammonia

Is it a problem if my cat's urine doesn't smell like ammonia? One of my cats just urinated on a coat that was on the floor, but it didn't smell like ammonia. The litter box is clean and the cats are well trained, so I'm worried about the combo of the behavior + lack of ammonia smell.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Cat urine doesn't always have a smell to it. If your cat has been drinking a lot of water the urine can be dilute and therefore will not be as stinky.

If your cat continues to urinate in strange places then you may want to have her urine checked by your veterinarian for the presence of infection, kidney disease, diabetes, etc. If your vet does not find a problem then they may suggest behavioural modifying medication such as amitriptylline.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!

Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.