Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

my cat cannot stand up and cannot control urination. cat is

Customer Question

my cat cannot stand up and cannot control urination. cat is also dehydrated but drinks plenty of water. cat is 20 yrs. old.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer
How long has your kitty had these symptoms?
Is he unable to stand up and bear weight at all?
Can he move his legs, or is he unable to move them at all?
When was the last time that he ate?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
about a week, can't stand up. she can move legs but not properly. she ate about three days ago.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Your kitty sounds pretty severely ill. She really needs immediate veterinary attention tonight, if you want to try to make her better. There are a number of things that can cause dehydration, increased thirst, inappetance and weakness in a cat of this age, but the most common ones are:

Kidney disease
Diabetes mellitus
Hyperthyroidism
Cancer

The first three can be easily tested for with blood and urine laboratory tests. I recommend that you take your kitty in to the veterinarian for a complete physical examination. The vet will want to do a CBC/Chemistry panel/T4/Free T4/ and a Urinalysis.
If all looks normal on these tests, then X-rays and/or abdominal ultrasound can be pursued to look for signs of cancer. Most of these conditions can be treated or controlled, however some cancers are more treatable than others. The specific treatment in your cat's case is going to depend on the disease process underlying the symptoms.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your kitty. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years experience as Veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome. I really hope that your kitty gets some relief from this illness.

Dr. K