Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

Can cats have benadryl for a stuffy nose/sneezing I had my

Can cats have benadryl for a stuffy nose/sneezing? I had my cat at the vet today for sneezing that I suspected was an URI. He has no discharge from his nose/eyes, but tonight he is mouth breathing, so I know his nose is stuffy. My vet did not prescribe anything because there was no sign of a secondary infection. My other cat was sneezing last week, but it cleared up without being any sort of a problem. They are both indoor cats. Please help, he seems uncomfortable, but not frantic in any way. I would just like to help him be more comfortable. Thanks. He is a 2 yr. old male siamese who weighs 14 lbs. He is neutered. Thanks again.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

The Benedryl would not be advisable in this case, since it is not really a decongestant, but an antihistamine. What you can do is to steam up the Bathroom and sit with the Kitty in the steamy room for about 20 mins. This will aid in helping open the breathing passages. The next thing you can use is some Saline Nasal spray like "Little Noses Pediatric Saline Spray" This will help break loose the congestion in the nasal passages. The last thing you can do is to open a jar of Vicks Vapor Rub in the room where the kitty sleeps. Make sure it stays out of the Kitty's reach, but the Vapors should also help with congestion. I hope the Kitty feels better very soon. Joan