How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kay Your Own Question
Dr. Kay
Dr. Kay, Veterinarian
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 48
Experience:  16 years as vet tech, 2.5 as veterinarian; emergency, general practice, shelter/rescue
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Dr. Kay is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i gave my kitten an overdose of piperazine dewormer, at 8pm.

Customer Question

i gave my kitten an overdose of piperazine dewormer, at 8pm.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kay replied 8 years ago.
Piperazine toxicity can be quite nasty. The most common clinical signs include ataxia (walking with a stumbling gait), tremors, depression. Signs typically start within 24 hours and lasts up to 3-5 days. Worst case scenario is death--and this is more likely if cats are allowed to seizure/tremor at home for a number of hours before medical attention .

There is no antidote. Treatment is primarily symptomatic and supportive: fluids, thermoregulation, quiet darkened cage, control tremors and seizures using phenobarbital and methocarbamol. Diazepam which is usually used to treat seizures should be avoided with this particular toxicity. I say this because often the seizuring pet brought to the emergency room will be whisked away and given a dose of valium even before they have spoken with you. If needed, be sure to tell them it's piperazine and use phenobarbital.
If he develops no signs, nothing needs to be done. If he has signs as described above get him to the vet asap.
Best of luck with your kitty!
Dr. Kay

Related Cat Questions