ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience
7788723

My 13 year old cats fur has started clumping and comes out

My 13 year old cat's fur has started clumping and comes out freely when just lightly petted. When the clumps are combed the fur comes out in bunches but i don't see anything holding it together.

I am sorry your kitty is having trouble. The changes you are seeing in the coat can be due to systemic illness. Cats are considered to be geriatric at 8 years old and are prone to illness as they age. The 3 most common ailments known to afflict elderly cats are diabetes, kidney disease and hyperthyroidism. The symptome include vomiting, diarrhea, increased water consumption, increased urination, dehydration, weakness, weight loss, muscle wasting, poor hair coat, changes in appetite, changes in behavior and increased vocalizations. The hair coat issues will not resolve until the underlying illness is diagnosed and managed. Cats instinctively hide illness, and more symptoms may be developing and becoming apparent. I do not want you to have to hospitalize your kitty or have her put on iv fluids to rehydrate her if you can avoid it. She needs to have an exam, comprehensive blood and thyroid panel and a urinalysis to evaluate organ function and hydration status and screen for illness. Try to have her seen early this week so that she can get some help. Your vet can also help you remove any matts that are present. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Good luck with your little lady!