Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My Cat threw up a dark brown fluid

My cat is 12 year old himalayan. Is eats well. He urinates alot and drinks
alot of water. About once a month he will cough up a fur ball, sometime
it's kind of dark. The past couple of days he's been sneezing and this
morning he threw up a dark brown fluid. I looked at it to see if it was blood but could not tell. He seems fine but I'm concerned. Also, lateley
he will only eat tuna, I cannot get him to eat his Iams. What should I do,
he's like out child and if anything happens to him I don't know what I'll do!

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your baby is not feeling well. He may have an abscessed tooth or upper respiratory infection. He could also be slightly deydrated or have acid reflux.

The "brown" liquid was most likely stomach acid.

Cats that eat dry can have bouts of dehyration.Indigestion is caused by inadequate chewing. Vomiting is very common. When acid reflux builds up in the stomach, they begin to vomit. Even if they have always eaten this,, they often become intolerant to corn and gluten which are used as filers in most supermarket cat foods.Vets push science diet because they sell it but it is not a great food as it too contains corn and gluten.

Lack of fluid in the bowel also leads to vomiting, Ingested hair can also be a factor.Anorexia for any extended time leads to liver damage and causes nausea and vomiting as well.

He can hve some tuna but he must get other foods as well. would add some canned or baby food for him

Serve the two foods separately - do not mix them - add a half pepsid a/c tablet, crushed up into the wet food one time a day.

Put hairball remedy or even plain vaseline on his paw for himto lick off as well.

If his tummy needs a rest, feed baby food with no onion or garlic for a few days.

If he wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

To cure diarrhea add a tablespoon of infant rice cereal to canned or baby food and feed for 48 hrs.

Give him droppers of unflavored pedialyte a few times a day to make sure he stays hydrated.

If he throws it up have him seen immedately.

Due to his age he should be checked for:

He may need an antibiotic for his URI.

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you.

I hope he feels better very soon.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you so much; I will have him checked by his vet. I'm happy to know it's nothing

too serious. He's so sweet and the light of our home! You've put my mind at ease!

Best regards,

Dear Pam,

You are very welcome.

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you so much for your accept and very generous bonus. It is appreciated.

Please let me know how your baby is doing.

Best wishes,