GenB
GenB, Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Kitten, Adult, Geriatric Cat Care Specialist/ B.A. Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/ Plain English!
1298761

My cat has a dropped tail that drags as he walks. Dont know

My cat has a dropped tail that drags as he walks. Don't know what occurred this past Sunday, but came home to find him under the bed. Howled and hissed when picked up. 13 years old, male, Himalayian, 9 1/2 lbs. Blood work is within normal range according to vet.   His arms and legs are prone to contractions when horizontal or on his back all his life. No vet has ever done diagnostic work on this problem. Could this be correlated with the tail malfunction? His back legs were weakened with this "attack" on Sunday, but seemed to have regained strength since being on Cortizone and a shot of antibiotics. He is beginning to jump up and jump down okay now where as he couldn't before after the "attack". His tail has a little lift to it at the base and he is able to wrap it around himself now. Any ideas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  GenB replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

You may want to consider having a Veterinary Cardiologist or Neurologist examine this pet. There are two kinds of embolisms that can affect circulation and nerve function in pets.

It sounds as though he may have experienced an embolism in his spinal cord...that is, a tiny piece of cartilage broke free and blocked the nerves to his legs and tail. If he were predisposed to nerve weakness all his life, this episode could be related to his other condition, but not necessarily (some cats just hate to be lifted off the ground, or turned upsidedown, but some can have congenital problems with dizziness).

Steroids can be very effective in improving fibrocartilaginous embolism in the spinal cord...relieving the pressure and inflammation.

Cats can also develop blood clots that block circulation (arterial thromoembolism).

If your cat had an embolism related to his heart and blood vessels, he may need additional treatment to prevent new blood clots from forming.

A specialist may be more quickly able to figure out exactly what happened and what to do to prevent it from happening again.

If you need additional support at this time, please click "Reply", otherwise I thank you in advance for your "Accept", and will hold a Good Thought for him.

GenB, Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience: Kitten, Adult, Geriatric Cat Care Specialist/ B.A. Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/ Plain English!