Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat has two small hard lumps under her fur halfway down

My cat has two small hard lumps under her fur halfway down the bridge of her nose. Each has a sharp little point on it, almost like a crumb, but it doesn't come off. She is indoors only, about 2 years old, and spayed. Are these warts? A funus? Cancer?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer and thanks for your question.

Cats are prone to develop lumps and bumps on and under their skin and some are not harmful, while others may be dangerous, just as in humans. Your description is very good, and I will give you a list of possibilities of what this may be, but I'm sure you understand that a hands-on, in person examination of these areas are required by your vet, in order to obtain a specific diagnosis and then treatment, if necessary. The following information is from
http://www.nzymes.com/articles/cat_skin_hair_problems.htm#LUMPSANDBUMPORBENEATHTHESKIN

"Papillomas and Warts in cats Papillomas and Warts: Grow out from the skin and look like warts or pieces of chewing gum stuck to the skin. Not painful.

Hematomas in cats Hematomas: Collections of blood beneath the skin, especially on the ears. Caused by trauma.

Tender Knots in cats Tender Knots (Abscesses): Frequently found after cat fights. Forms a firm swelling that becomes soft with time. Painful.

Cysts in cats Cysts: Smooth lumps beneath the skin. May grow slowly. Can discharge cheesy material and become infected. Otherwise, not painful.

Mycetoma Mycetoma: Mass or nodule beneath skin with an open tract to the surface draining a granular material. Caused by a fungus.

Sporotrichosis Sporotrichosis: Skin nodule with overlying hair loss and wet surface of pus at site of puncture wound or break in skin. Caused by a fungus.
Suggested Research: Infectious Diseases: Fungus Diseases.

cat grubs Grubs (Cuterebra): Inch-long fly larvae that form cystic-like lumps beneath the skin with hole in center to breathe. Often beneath chin or along abdomen.

Cat cancer When a Lump May Be a Cancer: Rapid enlargement; appears hard or fixed to surrounding tissue; any lump growing from bone; a lump that starts to bleed; a mole that begins to spread or ulcerate; unexplained open sore that does not heal, especially on feet or legs. Note: The only way to tell for sure is to remove and study the lump under a microscope."

Only your vet will be able to give you a definite diagnosis, once your cat is examined in person, so I hope you're able to accomplish this, ASAP. If these bumps are not bothering your cat, that's great, but try to have them checked out and hopefully, it will be something minor which is easily remedied.

Cher

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I actually had read this exerpt before I posted my question. I thought that the Mycetoma sounded closest. Although, I'm not sure they are really draining anything. But the sharp tips on the bumps look maybe like miniscule scabs, so it's possible. The bumps are hard to the touch, and they don't seem to hurt at all. They seemed to pop up out of nowhere rather quickly, although they are not that large. The cancer description above really bothered me, I suppose it's possible the reflect those symptoms as well. I had a cat die of skin cancer years ago, although it looked nothing like this, but it startled me anyway.

Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

I'm so sorry to hear you lost a cat to skin cancer, years ago, so I can understand your worry, now.

As you know, cats rub on all different sorts of objects, and she may have encountered an irritant in something she rubbed her nose on, or this may be coming from an internal cause. It's not too difficult to find a description, like Mycetoma, which may fit what you're seeing and feeling, but after your vet feels these areas in person, it would be easier to make a diagnosis. A skin scraping may be necessary, if the vet feels this will provide you with a more definite diagnosis, and then you'll be advised how to proceed from there.

I'm sure you understand, especially after having your previous cat die of skin cancer, that it's very important to have the vet look at and feel these bumps, ASAP. Don't worry too much, until you can get a definite diagnosis after the hands-on exam. Would you please keep me updated on how your cat is doing and what the vet's findings are? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it!

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience