Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

If I missed my cats insulin shot and gave it to them in the

If I missed my cat's insulin shot and gave it to them in the late afternoon when can i give the next one
Thanks for the question Deb.

I have had considerable experience treating cats with diabetes and have come across this situation many times.

My advice to you is to do nothing and just give the next dose as normal tomorrow morning.

If you give another shot now there will be a real danger of hypoglycaemia { low blood sugar } with its associated coma etc. It is not worth the risk.

On the other hand in doing nothing your cat will have a transient hyperglycaemia { high blood sugar }, this is not a great cause for concern. While hyperglycaemia can cause secondary effects such as blindness and liver damage this is associated with unremitting long term chronic hyperglycaemia which will go on month after month not short term high blood sugar for a twelve hour period.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be delighted to discuss your cat's condition further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you Scott, I really appreciate your help here. I was a little bit concerned.

Warmest regards XXXXX XXXXX wishes,

Deborah

My pleasure to advise you ...

Regards,

Scott