Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat sounds congested and the vet is closed. Is there aything

Customer Question

My cat sounds congested and the vet is closed. Is there aything I can give her or do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

I am so sorry your baby is not feeling well.

She most likely has an URI:

All cats carry upper respiratory virus on their own fur. Cats that live together become immune to the carried strain but as soon as the bacterium is exposed to another cat or a cats immune system weakens, it will infect them. If this baby was exposed to other cats she likely contracted it from them or stress.

Feed her very odorous food so she can smell it and will keep eating.Try tuna water or clam juice. If she gets dehydrated, give her a few droppers of unflavored pedialyte througout the day to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes.

She can have an OTC called clortrimeton - a quarter tablet every 12 hours if she is congested. You can get it at any drug store.You can also take her in a steamy bathroom where you have run a hot shower to break it up.For teary eyes get Terramycin ointment. some pet supplies have it but call first or order from

Apply a damp teabag today for 30 seconds 3 times.

If she develops any colored mucus that means the infection has turned bacterial and will respond to an antibiotic.Some vets script one even if it is viral to prevent secondary infections like pneumonia.

Please let me know how she is feeling. If you get worried I will always be here to help further.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do feel much better now, thank you. I just don't know if the OTC clortrimeton is the same thing as Chlortrimeton.
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.

Hi Jessica,

Yes that is the same product.

You are very welcome!

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept.

Please let me know how she is doing!

Best wishes,