Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

How often do cats urinate during a 24 hr period

How often do cats urinate during a 24 hr period?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
It really depends on the cat. What is more important is how much urine they produce. The average cat should not produce more than 40 mL/kg/day. In order to quantify this, you would need to collect all the urine produced in a 24 hour period and measure it. Whether the cat voids this urine in 2, 3 or 4 trips to the litterbox, is really very variable between cats.

If you feel that she is being intimidated by another cat in the house, you should add another one or two litterboxes to the different locations. The general rule with litterboxes, is that you should have one more litterbox than you have cats. So, if you have 2 cats, you should have 3 litterboxes.

I hope that this information is of help to you, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K