Micki
Micki, Expert in cat behavior and health
Experience:  Expert in cat medical and behavior issues.
2922194

How can I get my anemic cat to eat

Customer Question

He is very thin and the vet believes he has anemia. But the vet only gave me Hi-Vite drops to give him and nothing else. It has helped a little bit but my cat is still very thin. I don't have much money to have all the blood work done but I know he is not eating enough and I am pretty worried about him. Thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Micki replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Trinity

To help battle the anemia, start feeding him chicXXXXX XXXXXver for two weeks. Boil the liver as the method of cooking. Feed one once a day of the liver as a supplement to his regular diet.

If he doesn't want it, blend it up in a blender with water or tuna juice. Make it soupy and try to use a medicine dropper to feed it to him.

Liver is loaded with iron and vitamin B12. That is what he needs right now. This will help him produce more red blood cells.

Hopefully once the red blood cells are back up, his appetite will return.

To help put weight on him, you can start mixing kitten food in his regular food too. Kitten food has more calories and calcium in it than adult cat food.

I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Best of luck to you,

Micki