AthenaRVT, RVT, licensed in the state of Ca
Experience:  AS Degree, ER Nurse, Orthopedic Nurse, 10 Years Experience, Exclusive Work at Feline Only Hospitals

What is PIV in cats. Can it it be treated If so, what is the

What is PIV in cats. Can it it be treated? If so, what is the treatment?
PIV (Para influenza Virus) Is a virus that can cause upper respiratory symptoms such as coughing, sneezing and eye discharge. It depends on the severity of the case on how the disease is treated. Do you know how bad off your kitty is right now?
It looks like your question came through I will only give answers to one of the post
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

He's a 4 mo. old domestic short hair. I adopted him (along with his two other brothers) from a local pet rescue group. They neutered him last week while I was out of town.

I only got him last Monday. When I picked him up, the Pet Rescue people told me he had been real sick before they netered him. He was fine Mon, Tue and Wed morning.

He was ill when I returned home Wed evening and had a discharge from his left eye on Wed evening when I got home. He was very larthegic. However, he did eat. But he just looked like he didn't feel good, laying on my desk with his eyes about half closed.

Thu morning he ate his breakfast and the eye discharge wasn't as bad. As far as I could tell, he wasn't coughing, sneezing or had any difficulty breathing.

I took him to the Vet Thu afternoon. They're running tests on him. My wife said they mentioned one the things that could be wrong with him was PIV.

I am already attached to the little guy (He was the runt of the litter). I'm trying to edcuate myself in regard to what to expect if he has PIV.

It sounds like if he does have PIV it is not too advanced right now. Due to it being a virus there is no a direct cure for it. It is usually just allowed to run it's course with supportive care such as fluids and on some occasions antibiotics. It usually clears up in 10 -14 days.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
In terms of his other two brothers, can it be contagious to them?
Yes, PIV can be contagious. Do your other cats have any similar symptoms to your sick kitty?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Not as of this morning.
I would watch them for the next 5-7 days to see if they start to come down with similar symptoms.

Until your sick kitty is well he should be quarantined from your other cats so they do not become infected with the virus.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there any risk to humans being exposed to PIV? (The cats sleep with me).
PIV is not a zoonotic disease. The only virus ( that I am aware of) that is transmittable between human and felines is rabies. Most virus diseases are species specific.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the infomation.

Have a good weekend.

Thank You. I hope your kitty gets better soon