Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

The inside of my cats ears have been on/off red for several

The inside of my cat's ears have been on/off red for several weeks. Some days, they look fine. Other days, they are a little red or look irritated. I brought her to the vet two weeks ago and was said the ears look okay. She was prescribed Clavmox due to a low-grade fever. Her ears cleared up quickly, but while receiving treatment continued to be on/off red. The day she went to the vet, her ears were pretty clear. She is not scratching at her ears or shaking her head. The vet cleaned a little ear wax out and did not seem to suggest she had ear mites. Are there any other suggestions for treatment?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question.

From your description, it doesn't sound like she has ear mites, or she'd be much more uncomfortable, and be scratching at her ears/shaking her head, frequently.

It's possible that the redness is being caused by an allergic reaction, either to an irritant she's contacting (like when she sleeps or rubs her head on things around the house), and/or she may be experiencing an allergic reaction to ingredients in her food or treats. Foods that contain ingredients like corn, gluten, wheat and artificial additives/preservatives, are common allergens to cats. Some well recommended brands which contain no allergens are Wellness, Innova, Felidae, Natural Balance, and others, available at pet supply stores and online.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/allergies.html

Investigate this allergy theory with your vet, and hopefully, you will resolve the problem for your kitty.

Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. Her food brand has not changed recently. However, I did change to a new laundry detergent a while ago. Would a cat be sensitive to something like that? I did switch brands though this weekend because the other was was very strong smelling. My vet had given me some allergy pills at my last appointment along with the Clavamox to use as needed, as my cat had a clear reaction after coming back from the groomer. I will give these pills a try and see what happens.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome; thanks for your reply.

Yes, a cat can exhibit a sensitivity to a new detergent, if she's allergic to a component in it.

If your cat had a reaction after coming back from the groomer, it could have been something they used in the bathing, grooming process that was irritating to her ears, as well. If the vet provided an antihistamine or other allergy pills for this purpose, yes, try them and see if they help. Watch for any adverse reactions like lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, as a reaction to a new medication is always possible.

I hope all will be well!

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience