Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

how can i help my cat poop

my cat has been trying to poop all day and can't. He eats nothing but cat food and water. What can i give him to help.
Has he been constantly in and out of the litterbox all day?
Is he crying?
Is he eating and drinking normally today?
Are you absolutely certain that he is urinating normally today?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes he has been in and out of the litter box about 6 or 7 times. he has been eating and drinking the same and he has been urinating. No he isn't crying or or shaking.
It is important to make sure that he is definitely urinating, because may cats who display this constant visits to the litter box and straining..are actually blocked in their urinary system. This is a serious emergency, and can be fatal if not treated promptly, so if you have any doubts about his urine production, then you should definitely take him to a vet tonight to be looked at.

If you do feel that he is truly constipated, then the safest thing that you can try for him at home is some canned pumpkin. Use 100% pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. You can give him about a tablespoon mixed in with some moist cat food, and try to encourage him to drink water by putting out fresh, cool water frequently. If he likes to drink from a flowin water source, then leave a bathroom sink on for him on a small stream, so that he can lick directly from that.
If you do not see a BM produced by morning, then he should go into the vet for an enema. Do not try giving an OTC enema that is designed for humans, as these can be very harmful to cats.
If he is so uncomfortable that he cannot get to sleep tonight, then you should not wait until tomorrow, and should take him to the emergency doctor so that he can get some relief from this tonight.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your kitty. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K